Monday, May 2, 2011

Ponder This...Death is death

Osama Bin Lauden is dead. It is prudent that those of us who are targets of his organization are relieved that he can no longer personally threaten us. That being said, I can't help but feel that street parties and public displays of celebration are not appropriate. We claim to be a Christian nation, and so, is it right to teach our children that the killing of another human being is a cause for celebration?

Am I saying that we should have let him go free? No. Am I saying that there was another way out of the situation our special forces were sent into? Not at all. It is a somber truth that men kill one another, regardless of the reasons or provocation. Death is death. Nothing to celebrate.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you. He was just a man. A bad man but still just a man. He can't hurt anyone anymore but there will be other people to rise up to his place soon enough no reason to throw a party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have also been "pondering" this and it bothers me. It's hard to pinpoint the reason but I mostly agree with you. A person's death is not something to celebrate. But then I also feel glad about the results and implication of his death. It's really difficult. I think I will "ponder this" some more...

    ReplyDelete