Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Ponder This....Attention, Please!

How long has it been since you paid attention? Now, I'm not talking about merely looking at what you are doing, I mean really staying absolutely in the moment, and taking in everything.

I was driving down Rupe yesterday, with about a hundred things buzzing in my head, and it suddenly hit me that I rarely ever think about or do one thing at one time. Most often, my hands are busy with one thing, and my mind is busy with the next things on the to-do list. That means that many times I am missing out on a lot of what is REALLY going on. Ever have a converstation with your mind half on the TV show you're watching? How about while you are driving? Can you make eye contact with the other person? Can you really engage yourself in what is happening?

There are so many things that demand our attention on a daily basis, like people, gadgets, work, entertainment, food, pets...the list goes on and on. Of all these, what is the MOST important to you? I have decided that people, and people I love in particular, are the most important. Many times they are only getting a tiny piece of my attention when we are together, because of all the other things distracting me. So, I'm going to make a mindful effort to give my FULL attention to people more often. That may mean we have to turn off the TV for a few minutes, or that I need to park the car before I hear how your day went. I think I want to look you in the eyes when you're talking to me, and really listen, instead of just hearing. After all, attention pleases all of us. :0)

3 comments:

  1. Oh man I am GUILTY of this! I have a confession: When I browse the internet I usually have a minimum of 4 or 5 tabs open at once plus sometimes I'm also using my iPad to play Words With Friends or watch a TV show. Technology has a way of dividing my attention in every which direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the same with tabs open all over the place, and listening to a book on tape, and taking phone calls... :0\

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post. I'm sure we're all guilty of multi-tasking our entire lives. Come this Friay thought, I require, no, I DEMAND your full attention. Period. End of story. No excuses accepted. You will be there if I have to drag you there myself. :)
    Heart you!

    ReplyDelete