Saturday, June 1, 2024

Pride Part 2

For a few years now, I've reposted my blog from 2018 about why I have celebrated pride for decades as an ally. This year, I want to post about celebrating as the parent of a member of the LGTBQ+ community.

My child was born into a home of love and tolerance for the community because we already loved many LGTBQ+ family members and friends. I took my kiddo to family friendly pride events, and made sure that they and all their friends knew that our house was a safe place to be themselves. When my own (grown) child came out, there was already a foundation laid for them to know that they would always be treasured by us. It was still hard. Change is hard for humans (even positive change) because we are creatures of habit and routine. Don't let that discourage you, whether you are a person who is comming out, or a person who loves someone who is. You and your loved ones will bumble through and it will be ok. As in all things, we need to handle each other and ourselves with grace and love. We can never expect anyone (including ourselves) to have every aspect of life figured out. The sooner we let that expectation go, the happier we will all be. Getting to know yourself never stops, so keep going! Don't be afraid to learn more about who you are and who everyone else is. We are here to make life more joyous together!!! Let's celebrate! Love ya'll. Happy Pride month! I'm so very proud of all of you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment