Friday, June 3, 2011

Ponder This...Cheers Enid!

It's blogathon time! That's right...some of us bloggers are all set to tell you what we love about Enid, Oklahoma. If anybody chooses the weather, I will scream. I am not from Oklahoma originally, so I have to tell you I feel that a lot about this area is an aquired taste. The wind will blow your hair off, it's always too hot or cold, and there are no breathtaking natural monuments like the Grand Canyon in our town. This is not a shopping mecca, a major tourist destination, or a resort. So, what's to love?

I'll tell you what makes Enid great in ONE word...PEOPLE. I know you don't want me to get all sappy, but it's the truth. I have done some traveling in recent years, and I want you to know that I have never been anywhere friendlier than Enid. Strangers will hold the door for you, will let you merge in traffic, and will smile and meet your eye more often than not. And that is just the STRANGERS you don't even know!

How about all the people you DO know? Many of the businesses you visit in Enid are small operations where you see the same helpful faces, and people take the time to get to know you. Every time I go into G & P Bakery, I see other regular customers and have a chat. The owners are some of my best friends, and they always know what kind of dressing I want on my salad. My pharmacist at Scheffe's Parkview asks what grade my daughter is in, and marvels at how much she's grown. My hair stylist at Rhainey Day Salon is my neighbor, whom I have watched grow up, and her little brother is one of my kiddo's best friends. The library employs one of my best friends and fellow blogger, so I usually know when my book on hold is ready before it's even on the shelf. During my normal everyday errands, I can take a second and chat with people who are genuine, friendly, and truly glad to see me. Enid is simply a great place to make friends, and a wonderful place to raise a family.

A couple of people who read this might remember a TV show called "Cheers". Though I never was a faithful viewer of the show, the theme song really sums up what I feel is the best part about living in Enid, America:

Where Everybody Knows Your Name
"Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got
Taking a break from all your worries sure would help a lot
Wouldn't you like to get away?

Sometimes you want to go - where everybody knows your name
and they're always glad you came
You wanna be where you can see - our troubles are all the same
You wanna be where everybody knows your name"

Cheers, Enid! You're the best!

Here's the link, in case you don't know the song: Cheers! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD8ljNobUys


P.S. Thanks to Eric and Ben for organizing the Blogathon, and for allowing me to take part in it. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment